Thursday, May 24, 2012

My way. Minus the party.

I boycotted Ed Hinrichs' 90th birthday party yesterday. That's one way of looking at it. I bicycled past Ed's place many times. But I didn't stop to wish Ed a happy birthday. Because it was a party. And I'd be competing with all the other well-wishers. Which makes me feel uncomfortable. I prefer having Ed all to myself. One on one. Gives me better opportunity to truly converse with Ed. Maybe that's why I don't particularly enjoy parties. Generally, parties are for small talk. And one gabs with other people that one doesn't necessarily want to gab with. I'd rather wish Ed a happy day a few days from now. When he's alone. Maybe when I meet him on the street. Going around North Shore Circle on his trusty, slow-paced electric motor scooter. Which travels at a speed slower than my bicycle. I can walk my bicycle and talk to Ed at the same time. Generally, I drop in on Ed unannounced. After all, he's got lots of free time. That happens when one reaches so-called old age. In Ed's case, he likes company. But I sense that Ed does much better conducting a dialogue -- yes, one-on-one -- than dealing with the hustle-bustle and chit-chat of a birthday party. Oh, I'm sure Ed feels honored. To have a birthday party. But I wanna honor Ed in a different way. My way. Minus the party. And I will. --Jim Broede

No comments: