Sunday, May 27, 2012

Not merely mediocre.

I'm celebrating. Because my Chicago Cubs lost their 12th straight game today. I desperately want the Cubs to keep losing. To set the all-time record for most consecutive losses by a major league baseball team. Admittedly, my wish may seem odd. But I've come to the conclusion that if the Cubs can't be the best team in baseball, I'd next want 'em to be the worst. Maybe it shows that I'm an extremist at heart. I'd rather my team be at either end of the spectrum. Better than in the middle. I abhor mediocrity. If the Cubs are to be bad, let them be horribly bad. Not merely mediocre. Maybe there's a psychoanalytic explanation for this. Makes me feel good. To be a fan of the worst team in baseball. It's a distinction. Shows that I'm gonna stick with the Cubs. No matter what. I'm a Cubs fan in sort of an unconditional sense. A diehard. Maybe it's a little like wishing to be the devil if one can't be god. Better to be the supreme ruler of hell rather than second or third in command in heaven. So, my dear Cubs, go for the 13th straight loss on Memorial Day. And more and more happy losses to come. Go for the record. Whatever it be. --Jim Broede

No comments: