Saturday, May 12, 2012

To be or not to be.

I know people on suicidal paths. And they know it. But still they persist. My question: Should anyone intervene? The thing is that people commit suicide in different ways. Usually, we think of it as an overdose of sleeping pills, or shooting or hanging one's self. But there are other, more popular ways. Slow and methodical. Such as smoking a pack or two of cigarettes daily. Or by consuming inordinate amounts of alcohol. They are all effective methods of suicide. And many of 'em are readily tolerated by society. Generally, we leave it up to the individual. Though we pretend to frown on suicide. We accept it. As an option. If only by our inaction. Choosing not to intervene. I have close friends in the process of committing suicide. Addicted smokers, for instance. They won't allow me to intervene. And if I try, they get pissed. Tell me to mind my own business. Of course, I'd like to think of it as my business. To prevent a suicide. But it's not that easy. And too often I mind my own business. Ultimately, to my regret. I see it coming. And I do nothing about it. Oh, I try sometimes. But usually with little success. I've learned to accept suicide as a part of life. I don't get too despondent over it. Sometimes, I construe suicide as a good thing. In the case of my father, as an example. He was a habitual gambler, and got into lots of trouble as a result. Decided it was best to end his life prematurely. At a young age. Only 38. I'm sure there were other options. Better options from my point of view. But certain addicted, suicide-bent friends and acquaintances keep telling me, mind my own business. That my way isn't their way. That they prefer suicide. Don't intervene. It's their decision. To be or not to be. --Jim Broede

No comments: