Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Sure beats love of money.

Thank gawd, I'm in love. Otherwise I'd be in a funk. In clinical depression. Because I am disillusioned and disappointed with much of life on Mother Earth. Especially in America. I detest our political, economic and social systems. They are rigged. In favor of the monetarily rich. The affluent. The millionaires. The billionaires. The bankers. The big corporations. If I weren't in love, I'd be consumed by the injustice of it all. In the exploitation of the middle class and the poor. In the ignoring of the common good. Unfortunately, the masses of people are ignorant or indifferent. Not knowing how to wield power. Because they are easily outspent, outmaneuvered, manipulated. By the elite rich. By the powerbrokers. By a small minority that controls the nation's wealth. The wealthy know how to use their power, their money, to bamboozle the masses. It happened in Wisconsin. Yesterday. When the Republican governor survived a recall election. In large part, because his campaign was financed by interests from out-state. By millionaires and billionaires. Which allowed him to outspend his opponent by a ratio of 7 to 1. And that may well be the precursor of the national elections this fall. There's no limit on spending. Because the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that businesses and corporations have to be treated like individuals. They can spend whatever they want on political campaigns. No limits. For advertising. To protect their business interests. A form of freedom of speech. To support candidates that allow the rich to become richer. Rather than serving the common good, or the best interests of the poor and the middle class. Oh, I pray and wish for the masses of poor and middlle class to finally wake up. To organize. To educate themselves. To object to being exploited. To protest the ever-widening gap between the rich and the poor. Yes, folks, it's time to overthrow the plutocracy. Let's make America a democracy. The wait might drive me crazy. Put me into the doldrums. If not for the fact that I'm happy in love. With my Italian true love. Keeps me going. Sure beats love of money. --Jim Broede

No comments: