Friday, June 1, 2012

I shudder. Just thinking about it.

I've been a Chicago Cubs fan virtually all my life. But Maybe I have a new-found reason for abandoning the Cubs. No, it's not their perennial losing ways. Instead, it's the new ownership. The Ricketts family. Which paid nearly a billion dollars for the Cubs. The patriarch of the family is Joe Ricketts. His money bought the Cubs. Though his children are running the show. Happens to be that Joe Ricketts is a devout racist. Aiming much of his racist venom at Barack Obama. He's announced that he'll spend a small fortune on political race-based anti-Obama propaganda. Ricketts' children have tried to separate themselves from their father's racist views. And it could well be that they aren't racists. That they are far more enlightened than their father. Certainly, I'm more enlightened than my own parents. They had racist leanings. Which I came to reject. And I shouldn't be held accountable for their thoughts on racial matters. But still, it's Papa Joe's money that bought the Cubs. And maybe the way for me to protest Ricketts' asinine racist behavior is to boycott his baseball team. Which I would find hard to do. Because I'm addicted to the Cubs. I can conveniently claim that Ricketts' son and Cubs president Tom Ricketts seems to be enlightened. So for now, I'll remain a Cubs fan. Unless I discover that Tom and his siblings really share their father's views. Then I have a tough decision to make. Makes me shudder. Just thinking about it. Renouncing allegiance to the Chicago Cubs. --Jim Broede

No comments: