Sunday, July 29, 2012

It's important to carry on.

An Alzheimer care-giver wonders if she should continue to take her mother to the dentist. For teeth cleaning. Maybe the assumption is that once the mind goes, it's no longer worth investing in physical maintenance. My response? I took my dear sweet Jeanne to the dentist regularly. I went with her. To relieve any anxiety. I held her hand. Gave her confidence. And every night, I helped her brush her teeth. I brushed them for her. Diligently. Carefully. I also used picks. It was a tedious maneuver. But it worked. I also gave her a shower. Every night. Because that's what she was used to before Alzheimer's. No reason to change the routine. Good hygiene is good hygiene. With or without Alzheimer's. One doesn't stop loving and caring just because of Alzheimer's. It's important to carry on. --Jim Broede

No comments: