Sunday, September 30, 2012

The ancient Greeks had it right.

One thing about my friends. They are naturally attracted to 'good' people. Virtually all of their true friends are 'good' people. They only open up to people that they fully trust. In that sense, they compliment me. I'm honored and flattered in that they've cultivated our friendship. They've pretty much opened up to me. But still, there's a little something that even my closest friends hold back. Not with just me. But with everyone. I recognize that's part of them. Their way. I have a tendency to open up more than they. But that's just me. The natural me. It's easier for me to open up. I'm more practiced at it. They aren't as likely to bare their souls. To go naked, so to speak. I have to literally pull things out of them. And that's sometimes a little painful. For them. They aren't always gonna volunteer the full and complete truth about what it is that motivates their dislike of certain people. They are a bit too vague. But I know that certain people rub them the wrong way. And I'm not always sure that they are giving everyone a fair shake. But that's me, too. I don't give everyone a fair shake. But I'm more aware of it than they/my friends. And I can be less malicious than they. More fair-minded. Maybe because I've learned to treat my 'enemies' with levity. I'm laughing. I don't lose sleep in coping with the people I dislike. I'm capable of finding redeeming features. Even in Adolph Hitler, I suppose. They can't. They see certain people as totally evil/lost causes. I'm not certain that god does. God really has an open mind. Therefore, my god and their Christian and monotheistic god may not be the same god. Maybe there are multiple gods. Maybe the ancient Greeks had it right. --Jim Broede

No comments: