Sunday, September 9, 2012

Ron teaches me about his world.

Took my 84-year-old friend Ron for a walk this morning. He's the one with dementia. Probably Alzheimer's. Ron's caregivers told me he was 'out of it.' That he wasn't making sense. But he made lots of sense on the walk. Because just before we left, they put in his hearing aids. That made the difference. Ron was exceptionally alert. Very much with it. On the entire walk. He answered most of my questions. Sensibly. Logically. Maybe it was because I caught Ron in the morning. When he was still rested. Rather than late in the day. When he's tired. But one thing's for certain. Ron should be wearing his hearing aids. Throughout the day. Anyway, Ron heard the birds singing. I know. Because he commented about the sweet sounds. And he became fascinated with his shadow. Chasing it. And waving to himself. And he read a sign aloud. 'One man, one woman.' I didn't know that Ron could still read. He's literate. Maybe doesn't fully understand everything he reads. But he understood the warmth of the sunshine. Told me so. And Ron has sense to watch where he walks. Skirts around the manhole covers. I like to take Ron for walks. Because he always teaches me so much. About his world. --Jim Broede

No comments: