Monday, October 1, 2012

I'd vote for a commie.

I confess. Don't pay much, if any, attention to local politics. The city council. The schoool board. The county board. Wasn't always that way. Because when I was a writer for newspapers, local politics was my beat. And I even got elected to the school board. But ever since I retired, in 1998, I don't follow local politics any more. Guess I have better things to do. Such as following national and international politics. And a little bit of state politics. Maybe it's a recognition that I can't affect political outcomes. My vote or my voice doesn't make an iota of difference. Politics will go the way it goes. With or without me. My vote is totally insignificant. But still, I'm sticking around until after the national elections. On Nov. 6. So that I can personally go to the polls. To vote for Barack Obama. So that I can cancel out the vote of one of my conservative Republican neighbors. That'll give me great satisfaction. And soon after the election, I'll go live with my Italian true love. In Sardinia. In the Mediterranean Sea. And not return to Minnesota until April or May. Oh, I'll pay attention to Italian politics. Even to local Italian politics. Because the city council where I live in Italy has some communist members. Very, very refreshing. I can't imagine a communist on an American city council. Wish I could. I'd vote for a commie. --Jim Broede

No comments: