Saturday, December 15, 2012

Celebrating life.

Usually, I don’t pay much heed to Christmas. Maybe it’s that I’d rather not. All the folderol. I can do without it. So much of it has become commercial. A pretense of happiness and camaraderie and family solidarity. Anyway, it’s a Christian holiday observance. And though I was raised a Christian and enjoyed Christmas celebrations for selfish reasons as a kid, I no longer am a Christian.  It’s more a case of shunning religiosity. I’d rather be spiritual.  Though I’m unsure what that means. Just sounds good, I suppose. I’m into free-thinking.  Which also makes me sound more liberal. More open-minded. When really, I’m just as close-minded as any Christian or Muslim or Buddhist or atheist. I have my way. Which is to take life one day at a time. And that requires a flexible approach to life.  Because I’m not sure what life is all about. I’m merely an observer. And so I’m aware that it’s Christmastime. Here in Italy. In Sardinia. In the city of Carbonia. Where the Christmas decorations are in full force.  Italians are in a festive mood. Despite hard economic times.  Church bells are ringing. And there was live music in Piazza Roma. Sounded like blue grass.  Thought I was back in America for a while.  But then I looked around. And recognized that I’m in Paradise. Holding hands with my Italian true love.  Celebrating life.  –Jim Broede

No comments: