Friday, December 21, 2012

Doing what comes naturally.

Sometimes, I excuse myself. On the grounds of old age. For instance, that I’m too old at 77 to learn to speak Italian fluently. Or maybe even less than fluently. That it’s gonna take too long to learn to speak Italian well. And by that time, I’ll be dead. So why waste my time? Yes, it’s a stupid and inexcusable mistake. But still, I do it. More because I’m lazy rather than old. No doubt, it’s easier learning a language at a very  young age. But it’s not impossible. I continue to walk 10 miles or ride a bicycle 30 miles in a single day. But it’s as if I can’t learn 10 new Italian words in a day. It’s mental laziness. And a defeatist attitude. For which I should be ashamed.  Don’t find it too difficult to live as a romantic idealist, a spiritual free-thinker, a political liberal, a dreamer and a lover.  Maybe it’s because that stuff comes naturally. Learning a new language – well, that ain't so natural. –Jim Broede

No comments: