Tuesday, December 18, 2012

To explore at an oddball hour.

I’m up at 4 in the morning. And customarily I then take to the computer. And start writing. Whatever  comes to mind. But the thought occurs that maybe one of these mornings soon I’ll go for a walk. Down Carbonia’s main street, Via Gramsci. And then through some residential side streets. Just to see what it’s like. I presume just about everyone will be asleep. That I may encounter no one. Other than the local police. Makes me wonder if I’ll be stopped and quizzed. It’d probably happen in the USA. I’d come under suspicion for being a burglar. Up to no good. Anyway, it’ll be interesting to see if I spot other pedestrians. Maybe I won’t even see any traffic in this city of 30,000 inhabitants. Sometimes, I see hardly anyone at 2 in the afternoon. Most businesses are closed from 1 to 4 p.m. Traffic is so light that the automatic signals are turned to flashing yellow. Nobody is required to stop. Just be cautious. I’m sure that’s what my Italian true love is gonna advise me on early morning strolls. Be cautious. More likely, she’ll tell me, ‘Don’t go. Stay home and write.’ Problem  with writing, I’m signaling my intention.  To explore the city at an oddball hour.  I should just do it. Without telling anyone.  –Jim Broede

No comments: