Thursday, January 31, 2013

No more excuses.

Don’t necessarily buy into tradition. Teaching, for instance. I talk to teachers who advocate teaching in traditional ways. That’s all right, to a degree. But I’m for experimenting. Trying new ways. New methods. Breaking with tradition. Guess I’m arguing against conservative approaches  to educating youngsters. Ways have to be found to turn on kids. Making them want to truly learn. Motivated. I’m told by some conservative teachers, that’s not the job of teachers. The students have to turn themselves on.  But I suggest it’s a team effort. The teacher and student working together. No excuses allowed. That’s the trouble with many educational systems. Excuses. Excuses. One excuse after another. I’d shake things up in the failing systems. Maybe I’d bring more parents into the classrooms. And more guest teachers. People deemed unqualified to teach in many of the traditional systems. Yes, time to break away from tradition. Try something new. Find something that works. No more excuses. –Jim Broede

No comments: