Thursday, January 24, 2013

On remaining good caregivers.

Thinking about my neighbors. Back in Minnesota. Rick and Julie. A couple. In their 60s. And they’ve taken on an immense task. Or maybe I should call it an act of love. And caring. Yes, caring for Julie’s elderly parents. Day in and day out. In their own home. Both parents have dementia. Maybe Alzheimer’s. For over four years now.  Rick and Julie also are running a marketing consulting business. How they find time for everything, I don’t fully know.    No doubt, they are stressed. But still, they manage. The parents could go into assisted living. But Rick and Julie have resisted that. Maybe partly out of a sense of guilt. Especially so for Julie. In my role as a friend, I try to give Rick and Julie an assist. When I’m back in Minnesota. Which I won’t be until April. Nevertheless, I think of ‘em. And wish them the best. But still, that doesn’t stop me from encouraging them to put the folks into assisted living. Maybe even a nursing home. Maybe that makes me cold and callous. But it’s the sensible thing to do. Because the stress is taking a toll. On both of ‘em.  Good caregivers have to take good care of themselves. That is, if they want to remain good caregivers.  –Jim Broede

No comments: