Monday, January 28, 2013

Was the world made in China?

Shopping for a small plug-in electric oven. Our old one went kaput about a year ago. And my Italian true love hasn’t replaced it yet. An inconvenience. Because we are inclined to rarely use our big gas oven. She thinks it’s unsafe. That we might have a gas explosion. Therefore, I’m on a mission. To purchase a small plug-in electric oven. But that’s a difficult assignment. Because everything we’ve looked at is made in China. That doesn’t suit my true love. She thinks of Chinese products as inferior. That may  well be. I really don’t know. But if made in China is the only product available in Italy, maybe we’ll have to go Chinese. My true love says keep looking. The other day, I yelled, ‘Eureka, I have found it!’  Yes, a Telefunken electric oven. With that name, I automatically assumed it’s a German-made oven. Manufactured by superior German craftsmen. But upon close examination, my true love discovered that Telefunken products are now made in China. That disqualifies Telefunken products as proper appliances for out Italian kitchen. I found another oven. This one with the brand name Johnson. That certainly sounds American, or maybe Scandinavian. But lo and behold, Johnson comes from China. Makes me wonder if the entire world was made in China. –Jim Broede

No comments: