Thursday, February 21, 2013

A beyond? I'd like to think so.

My cousin Ferd (not Fred) is in a hospice. Dying. I hate to see people die. Wish we all could live forever. Ferd has had a good life. He’s well into his 80s.  His dad, my uncle Fred (not Ferd), died in 1960. When he was in his 60s. I used to spend summers with the family. As a teenager. In a Chicago suburb. Ferd had already left home. To attend Yale. Where he was an athlete. Played football and basketball. But Ferd also was a scholar. Had a successful business career. As a head hunter. Another name for someone who recruits executives. Often for big companies. Haven’t seen Ferd in maybe 15 or 20 years. When he would come. With his sister, Marj, to visit my mom in Wisconsin. Marj keeps me up to date on Ferd’s condition. He’s in Florida. I’m in Sardinia. Probably won’t see Ferd again. But I’m thinking about him. Nice that he’s had a good life. Thing is, he knows it, too. Too bad that we all have to die. But that’s part of life. But then again, maybe there’s a beyond. I’d like to think so. –Jim Broede

No comments: