Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Maybe a friend some day.

Thinking. About the way I get to know people. A stranger I’ve just met. The name isn’t most important. Instead, it’s the words. I walk away. Might not remember the name. Instead, I remember something he/she said.  We start a dialogue. And maybe I have to ask three times. For the name. Maybe I don’t ask. Because I’m riveted on the conversation. Looking for something meaningful. Memorable. I need more than a name. The name is secondary. Often,  I have an instant impression. But a minute later, it’s a totally different take. Because I’ve peeked behind the façade. Inside the stranger. I’ve learned something. Significant. This is no longer an ordinary stranger. I’ve become acquainted. Because I have obtained a sense of a personal and unique being. Maybe I want to  know more.   Only then does the name come into play. Yesterday, not only name. But an email address. I decided quickly that a stranger should no longer remain a stranger.  A new acquaintance. Maybe a  friend some day. –Jim Broede

No comments: