Thursday, February 28, 2013

Imagination & the written word.

I’m talking directly to D. H. Lawrence. Which is no small feat. Because he died 83 years ago. Tomorrow. I’ve summoned his spirit. To ask him questions. I’m about halfway through his 600-page biography. And I find his life stimulating. And it’s a shame that we didn’t have opportunity to talk face o face. When he was still in the physical world. But thank gawd, there’s still the spiritual connection. Even though I’m not yet a true spirit. I’m gonna ask Lawrence what it’s like to be totally spirit. My guess is he welcomes living in the spiritual realm. Because he was sickly much of the time. Bronchitis. Pneumonia. He eventually died of tuberculosis. Age 44. Maybe a blessing. To die young. If it’s brought him spiritual happiness. Anyway, I’ll try talking to Lawrence about his writing style. And philosophy about love. He was a superb novelist and poet. No way do I want to mimic his style. But I want to understand it better. He’s also been purported to use his real life friends and acquaintances and family members as the base for characters in his novels. Often in satirical fashion. No doubt, that annoyed and even angered some. But I like what he did. I’d do much the same.  Giving real life characters odd twists and turns. Putting them into alternative lives.  All of us could have chosen many paths in real life. But in fiction, we can take our lives anywhere and anyplace. Oh, the power of the imagination and the written word. Lawrence was the master of both. I’m looking forward to our dialogue.  –Jim Broede

No comments: