Thursday, March 28, 2013

Wondering whether I'm a dreamer

Idle, empty buildings. Public buildings, too. Such as closed schools. But the city where I’m living, Carbonia in Sardinia, is doing something about it. By putting the buildings to good use. As havens for homeless people. And as a youth hostel. Good. Good. Good. Practical uses. That serve the common good. That serve the needy. We should have more of this in the world. Everywhere. I’d also put some of the unemployed back to work. Refurbishing these buildings. If we really cared, as a society, much of this would be happening. All over. Instead, we have rotten societies. In difficult economic times, our rich and elite politicians call for austerity programs. For tighter budgets. To make the poor and downtrodden suffer even more. It’s a sacrilege. An obscenity. Society doesn’t have to let it happen. We could have a heart. A compassion. For the needy. For the down and out. It’s a disgrace. But I see a glimmer of light. In Carbonia. In Italy. On Saturday, I’m returning to America. Where I hope to see more than a glimmer. I’ll wear very dark sunglasses. So I won’t be blinded by the light. Makes me wonder. Whether I’m a dreamer. –Jim Broede

No comments: