Thursday, April 18, 2013

If I could.

I don’t want a gun. Don’t need a gun. Oh, I can use a gun. If necessary. Qualified as a sharpshooter when I was in the army. A feat that amused me. Surprised me, too. I’d much rather have a sharp tongue. And shoot words. Instead of bullets. Yes, I know that words can hurt. But they seldom kill. And kind words often heal. I use words to make love. When angry, words will suffice. I don’t wanna be a killer.  Not even an accidental one. So I avoid firearms. I abhor hunting. It’s a personal thing. In practice, I’m not totally against killing. Animals. For food. Though I have serious qualms about it. Ideally, I’d like to become a vegetarian. But I procrastinate. Don’t practice what I preach. Except when it comes to guns. Don’t even want to touch a lethal weapon. I have no desire to kill any human being. Even the worst of the lot. I’d end capital punishment. If I could. I’d sharply regulate the use and purchase of guns. If I could.  –Jim Broede

No comments: