Friday, May 10, 2013

I've got the better/good life.

When I was writing for the St. Paul Pioneer Press, we had a damn good writer named John Camp. One of the best. I was in awe of him.  Maybe even a little bit envious. Wish I had his natural writing talents. Camp won a Pulitzer prize for his journalism. Now he’s taken to writing fiction. Thrillers.  Under the pseudonym John Sandford. He’s making a good living at it. He’s famous. A best-seller.  Eavesdropped on a radio interview with Camp/Sandford day before yesterday. He’s got the good life. Writes every day. Turns out novel after novel.  Chooses to live in Santa Fe. In New Mexico. Because Minnesota winters tended to put him into depression. Says that in Santa Fe, one gets 350 days of sunshine annually.  Now Camp returns to Minnesota for only two or three weeks. In the summertime.  Come to think of it, I’ve got a better/good life. I’m not nearly as talented a writer as Camp. But I’m me. And I don’t wanna be anyone else. I write every day. In my own way.  Splitting my time. With my Italian true love. In the paradises of Minnesota and Sardinia. –Jim Broede

No comments: