Sunday, May 12, 2013

Playing/living for the wrong reason.

If I had overwhelming talent, as a baseball player, I’d find it difficult being paid $52 million over four seasons. Just to play baseball for the Chicago Cubs. It’d make me feel like I was being far overpaid for the privilege. And it might put pressure on me to be really, really good.  To truly earn that money. Knowing full well I’m not worth that much. Perhaps I’d become uptight.  And under-perform. I’d probably feel better being paid far less. Because that would be more than adequate. Still providing me with the good life. Doing what I enjoyed. For the pure pleasure of playing baseball.  There is a $52 million player, pitcher Edwin Jackson, pitching for the Cubs now. And he’s started the season slowly. Losing his first five games. He’s been lousy. The worst of the Cubs five starting pitchers. And I suspect it’s because he’s trying to live up to all the hype. To truly earn far more money than any baseball player is really worth. In a sense, the money may be taking the joy out of playing baseball. Playing/living for the wrong reason. The love of money rather than the love of baseball.  –Jim Broede

No comments: