Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The way it's supposed to be.

My sister Babs is amazing. Having learned to finally grab on to her life. Seven years ago. As she was nearing 70. She decided to stop drinking. And smoking, too. Cold turkey. Sheer will power. On her own. She just upped and did it. Without any fanfare. She still has booze and cigarettes in the house. Just to prove that she can resist temptation. She's become a strong and determined woman. Yes, absolutely amazing. I wouldn't have fully believed it. Without first seeing it. Yesterday, I became a  believer. I saw my sister for the first time in 26 years. When I ventured into her domain. A trip, by car, of 337 miles. Into southeast Wisconsin. Near where we grew up. Anyway, I had more or less written off my sister. Since I last saw her. In 1987. At the funeral for our step-father. She was drunk then. I tried to intervene. But it was useless. So I had more or less written her off and got on with my own life. Maybe that was wrong. Maybe I could have done more. But really, it was up to Babs. She had to learn to take charge. And lo and behold, she has. Better late than never. And so, here I am. Renewing our acquaintance. Guess that's the way I deal with life. Don't let anyone drag me down. Into the pits. I even ignore my own sister. For a long, long time. Knowing she has to do her own thing. Her way. Finally, I have come to like her way. Good to see her again. Would not have recognized her if we had passed on the street. Same goes for her. She would have taken me for a stranger. But once again, we are coming to know each other. As true brother and sister. The way it's supposed to be. --Jim Broede

No comments: