Sunday, September 8, 2013

Trying to shut out the bad stuff.

I don’t like any of the participants in the Syrian civil war. They all seem like bad guys. Like Mafia thugs. One and all. Ruthless. Brutal. Hateful. Unable to find a diplomatic solution to strife. They’d rather kill each other. In any which way. It’s a war instigated by hate. Of each other. Goes for everyone. From President Assad’s regime. To all of the rebel factions.  They act more like thugs than disciplined soldiers. I suspect that the vast number of Syrians don’t want war. They want to live in peace and harmony. But an inhuman element has taken over the country. Zombies. The living dead. And decent people can’t do anything about it. They are caught in a quagmire. In a nightmare. So here I am. Sitting on the sidelines. Across the world. In America. Where President Obama has proposed intervening. By lobbing missiles into Syria. As if that’s gonna do some good. Maybe kill a few zombies in the process. But more likely, it’ll kill hordes of innocent people. Women. Children. Old people. Yes, the peace lovers. That would prefer living their lives happily. Without war. Without killing. Already, two million of the 22 million Syrians have fled the country. Refugees. Meanwhile, I keep asking myself, what can I do? What can the rest of the world do? I’d like to think of myself as sane.  Capable of coming up with a solution. There must be many more like me.  Wishing. Wishing. Wishing for effective diplomacy. For a plan that brings sanity to Syria. Knowing full well that wishing isn’t enough. So I try to get on with life. My life. Thankful that I am in love. With my Italian true love. That’s my focus today. As I try to shut out the rest of the world. –Jim Broede

No comments: