Monday, October 7, 2013

Is it better to die old?

It’s a real downer. A friend, still quite young, in her 40s, is dying. Wish it weren’t so. I would have hated to die in my 40s. Death is hard to take. At any time. But maybe it’s easier when one reaches so-called old age. Like me. I’m 78. Seems more fair.  I think about Schubert and Mozart and Bizet. They all died so very young. In their 30s. But maybe they had an inkling that they wouldn’t live for very long. That’s why they were so productive/creative at such young ages. They didn’t waste time. Of course, if there’s an afterlife, it all evens out. They continue to live. In a different and maybe better way. And so they end up blessed. Meanwhile, I think of myself as blessed. Because I’m in no hurry to reach the afterlife. Just in case there isn’t one. Anyway, my thoughts tonight are with my friend. Though that won’t do her any good. –Jim Broede

No comments: