Friday, November 29, 2013

An extension of my mind.

The greatest discovery of my life. The written word. Maybe that’s even more astounding than consciousness. The ability to have a thought. And then be able to put it in writing. As a kid, I was able to do that with paper and pencil. Later the typewriter. Now the computer. I not only can think. But I can see my thought. In writing. Through mechanical means. Allows me to ponder. To savor a thought. To come back to it repeatedly. Again and again. To not forget. To file away a thought.  Still knowing that I can fetch the thought. On a whim. Back in ancient times, it wouldn’t  have been so easy.  No writing materials. I’d have to file everything in my mind.  Which might be good training for the mind. But I much prefer an assist. From the written word. Imagine. If I had to remember the 6,400 threads in my blog. Impossible. But with the written word. It’s all retrievable. An extension of my mind. –Jim Broede

No comments: