Thursday, November 21, 2013

My stance. And I'm sticking by it.

I don’t trust anyone with an overwhelming desire to be monetarily rich. People that have far more money than they really need. A baseball player, for instance, wanting $240 million to play for his team. Or a CEO of a big corporation insisting on a salary of $100 million a year. Yes, there are such people. And big corporations, too, with annual profits of $20 billion. Still, paying some workers the minimum wage. Exploitation for the sake of profit.  Must be corrupting. Even evil. This accumulation of vast sums of capital by millionaires and billionaires.  Defenders of capitalism claim there’s nothing inherently wrong with being filthy and obscenely rich. (My words, not theirs.) We have radically differing ideas about good and evil. I believe that the rich tend to be more evil than the poor. Maybe I’m wrong.  But that’s my stance. And I’m sticking by it. ---Jim Broede

No comments: