Sunday, December 22, 2013

A lasting impression.

I'm on vacation. Well, sort of. Because in one sense, I'm always on vacation. Year-round. That's the benefit of being a retiree. Though I stay gainfully busy. Writing. Walking. Biking. Thinking. All done at a leisurely pace. No hurry. I'm in Arizona. For a few weeks. Out of my customary native habitat. In Minnesota. So maybe this can be considered a real vacation. Living at my daughter's house. In a fairly swank gated community. Mostly full of financially well-off retirees. As an outspoken political liberal, I'm less than a staunch defender of gated communities. I suspect that many of the residents here are rock-ribbed Republicans. They have a right to live where they want. Including gated communities. Really, I gotta admit this is a very comfortable environs. My daughter and her husband chose well. Anyway, the people are very, very friendly. When I go for walks, I'm greeted with hand waves. From other walkers, from friendly neighbors, from motorists, many of whom drive golf carts. The community is built around several golf courses. Indeed, I've had a warm welcome. Doesn't matter that I'm a stranger. That's nice. And appreciated. I could get used to living here. So quiet. Peaceful. And downright neat. I'm impressed and enthralled by the architecture and the layout of the place. I sense an art deco look. In a southwest adobe style. Some homes designed with pillars. Reminds me of portions of affluent Italy. That suits me. Because my true love is an Italian. And she's flying in tomorrow. To join me for the holidays and beyond. She'll like all this. I typically spend my winters with my true love in Sardinia, a Mediterranean island paradise. But not this winter. Because I want her to get the American Southwest experience. She's never been here before. This will be quality time for her. Me, too. I want to know her impression of the idyllic gated community. It'll leave a lasting impression, I'm sure. --Jim Broede

No comments: