Thursday, February 6, 2014

The exception. Rather than the rule.

My dear sweet Alzheimer-riddled Jeanne spent the last 38 months of her life in a nursing home. Which would have been cruel and unusual punishment. That is, if I had failed to show up. Fortunately, I was with her. Every day. Never missed.  Most days, I was there for 8 to 10 hours.  To see to it that Jeanne got proper care. A blend of professional care from the nursing home staff and lots of supplemental care – from me. It was a team effort. I fear for anyone left alone in a nursing home. Without supplemental care. From the likes of me. Nursing home residents need an advocate and protector. Preferably a loved one. I don’t trust the care they’d receive if left entirely to the nursing home staff. No matter how well-run, nursing homes will always have shortcomings. Such as under-staffing. And incompetence. Many nurses aids work for the minimum wage. And remain poorly trained. Especially in the care of dementia patients. If I hadn’t showed up, Jeanne would have had only one shower a week. Instead of the showers I provided every night.  The memory care unit residents seldom got fresh air. I took Jeanne our in her custom-made wheelchair every day. Even in the wintertime. Wrapped snugly in a thermo sleeping bag.  Had I not been there, Jeanne would have dined in a congregate dining area with distracting disturbances. Instead, I hand-fed her in the privacy and quiet of  her room. Jeanne received all sorts of preferential treatment. Because I was there -- to douse Jeanne in good vibes. Every dementia patient should be treated in a similar manner. Unfortunately, from what I have observed, that’s the exception. Rather than the rule. –Jim Broede

No comments: