Saturday, March 29, 2014

Listening. For the tick-tock of life.

I like to test people. To determine their limits. As to what they would or wouldn’t do. Of course, this is theoretical stuff. Because one rarely knows. With certainty. For instance, would I be willing to die for a cause?   Can’t think of one at the moment.  Life is too precious to give up. But I might risk my life. For the sake of a loved one. Taking a chance. That’s one thing. Voluntarily and knowingly giving up one’s life is another. Maybe that’s a selfish attitude. I suppose if one has a firm belief in an afterlife, it would be easier dying for a cause. Lots of people have done it. And that makes me wonder.  Did they know ahead of time? Or was it an impulsive action?  Maybe they wanted to become heroes. Someone remembered. That could be a selfish motive.  Yes, that’s what I want to know.  I’m intrigued. By what makes people tick. I’m listening. Always. For the tick-tock of life. –Jim Broede

No comments: