Thursday, April 24, 2014

A life full of rewards.

Maybe I’ve been rewarded. For tending to dear sweet Jeanne. When she had Alzheimer’s disease. I retired earlier than I would have. To initially become a full-time care-giver. Retirement turns out to have been a blessing. A proper way to live. Anyway,  Jeanne went into a nursing home for the last 38 months of her life. And that allowed me to become an 8-10-hour-a-day supplemental care-giver. As well as Jeanne’s protector and advocate at the nursing home. I finally was able to care for Jeanne and still get daily respite. Another blessing. Because that made me a reasonably rested and much better care-giver. Jeanne died in 2007. After a 13-year bout with Alzheimer’s. And lo and behold, several months later, I met my second true love. An Italian. And we’ve been cultivating the relationship ever since.  Back and forth. In Minnesota. In Sardinia. Little wonder. My life feels like a continually rewarding experience. – Jim Broede

No comments: