Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Call me Bilingual Jim.

I’ve become  bilingual. Yes, mastering a second language. No, it’s not Italian or French or German. Something far better. It’s come to me naturally. A very useful language. Called Gibberish. Don’t believe the dictionary. Which defines Gibberish as an unintelligible or meaningless language. Not true. My Alzheimer-riddled friend Ron speaks fluent Gibberish. And I respond in Gibberish. A wonderful dialogue. We truly communicate. In meaningful ways. In Gibberish. It helps. When we are looking into each others' eyes. The tonal quality, too. Conveys emotional content to our words. Gibberish can be very expressive.  When used properly. A true universal language. I keep practicing Gibberish. With Ron’s many dementia comrades. Believe me. I’m fast-becoming fluent. In Gibberish. The language has come naturally. Maybe in a previous life. I must have lived in a land where Gibberish was the native tongue. Come to think of it, Gibberish could well have been the first language ever spoken. The original language of mankind. The creator’s language. Anyway, I’m on a mission. To master a third language.  Yes, the primary language of my Italian true love. Right now, Italian sounds very much like Gibberish. A good sign. Hey, if I can master Gibberish, there’s no limit. Italian, Czech. Swahili.  I’ll master them all. –Jim Broede

No comments: