Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Come rain or shine. Or snow.

No. No. This can’t be, I tell myself. I finally mutter. Yes. Yes. I have to accept the fact. I live in Minnesota. And it snowed. Overnight. In mid-April. The temperature has barely nudged 40. All week. Freezes overnight. My lake. Still a solid cake of ice. Of course, I shouldn’t complain. After all, I’ve spent four of the past five winters in the Mediterranean island paradise. Yes, balmy Sardinia. With my Italian true love. But this winter, she came to visit me for a few weeks. And I decided to endure. A true winter. A tough hombre. I.  Forgot. Winter is slow to leave.  Winter hangs on. Into spring.  Maybe even into summer.  I’ve learned my lesson. Looking forward. To next winter. Going where I belong. With my true love.  In paradise.  No sense. In making the same mistake two winters in a row.  But really. I’m not distraught. I’m joyful. Happy almost all the time. Because.  Truth be told. I’m in love. With life. Come rain or shine. Or snow. –Jim Broede

No comments: