Thursday, April 17, 2014

My consolation.

This is typical. To be expected. My Chicago Cubs go into New York. To play the New York Yankees. And I’m imagining. The Cubs sweeping a doubleheader. Moving their record to 6-8. Instead, reality sets in. The Cubs lose both games by scores of 3-0 and 2-0. Yes, the Cubs don’t score so much as a single run. In 18 innings of baseball. Don’t even come close to scoring. All I want. Is a consolation run. A Cubs player touching home plate. But the baseball gods deny me. Even a token comfort. As a Cubs fan, I accept losing. Though I dream of the Cubs winning. Reaching .500 some day. Even this year. I don’t wanna wait until next year. I want now. No, not a division title. Or a World Series championship. Just a team that wins as many games as it loses. I’ll settle for mediocrity.   And consider it stunning success. A gift from Nirvana. But Cubs fans are denied. Even a few crumbs. We were born to be starved. Never to taste cake. We watch others feast. The 162-game baseball season is only three weeks old. Reality has already set in. The Cubs record is 4-10. Imagine that. Only six games below .500.  The only remaining question. Can the Cubs avoid losing 100 games?  I’ve altered my dream.  I’ve set the new goal. If the Cubs finish 63-99. That will be a blessing. My consolation. Reason to be grateful. –Jim Broede

No comments: