Sunday, April 27, 2014

No blind allegiance.

I’m living dangerously. In my conservative Republican neighborhood. By never flying the American flag. Instead, I regularly hoist the flags of Italy and Sardinia. Even on the Fourth of July national holiday. That could get me reported to Republican authorities. Rousing suspicions that I’m less than a super patriotic American.  A security risk. Really, I’m loyal to my Italian true love. I fly the flags in honor of her. Like a true romantic idealist. But hey, my congresswoman is none other than Michelle Bachmann. The most lunatic of the lunatic fringe Republicans.  She’s already questioned the loyalty of Barack Obama and other political progressives. Under the Patriot Act. Yes, that’s right. We Americans have a Patriot Act. With edicts like those imposed in some totalitarian countries.  Bachmann has called for identifying and cleansing America. Of those deemed less than patriotic. And here I am. Daring not to repeat the Pledge of Allegiance. At public gatherings, or anywhere. Yes, based on the principle that I am not always totally supportive of American political and economic ways. I might even flee America under certain circumstances. If the likes of Bachmann ever became president. It’s bad enough that she’s been elected and reelected in my congressional district. With the help of many votes from my neighbors. Shameful. Shameful. Makes one less than totally proud to be an American.  The USA. Less than a perfect country. A nation originally established with a slave economy. A nation known for racist ways. Apartheid. Even in my lifetime. And for the maltreatment, if not full-fledged ethnic cleansing, of the native American population.  The wrongs continue in America. Not the least being the ever-widening gap between the rich and the poor. An obliteration of the middle class. Of course, I’m still free to raise a fuss over all this. To speak out. But I’m fearful. That may not always be. Yes, my pledge of allegiance. Happens to be conditional. On America doing the right things. No blind allegiance. –Jim Broede

No comments: