Sunday, June 8, 2014

A well-adjusted Cubs fan.

My beloved Chicago Cubs failed today. To win their sixth straight game. But I’m not lamenting. Instead, I’m focused on the fact that the Cubs had a five-game winning streak. Yes, six would have been nice. Seven even better. But I’ve learned to accept the Cubs for what they are. More often losers than winners. Yes, winning ain’t everything.  Not with true blue Cubs fans. We have learned to take what we get. And still relish it. We aren’t like the never-satisfied-millionaire. Wanting everything. Can’t settle for one million. Needs two million, three million. Always more. Never enough. A real Cubs fan can live without a World Series. Or for that matter, not even getting into a World Series.  Cubs fans have learned to savor merely a winning season. As if it were everything. Even without a division title.  Heck, I’ll even settle for the euphoria of winning back-to-back games. Any time. Or climbing out of last place for a while. Makes me a well-adjusted Cubs fan.  –Jim Broede

No comments: