Friday, June 27, 2014

Long live Finland!

I’m blessed. Virtually every time I board an airplane. Because I invariably sit next to interesting people. Strangers. That I come to know. In significant ways. Most recently. Vil and Sumo. Finns. Young men. Just ending a one-month tour of the U.S.  Like me, they are headed from Las Vegas. To Minneapolis. I’ll be home. But after a 4-hour layover, they’ll head to Iceland. Then to Helsinki.  Their home sweet home.  And believe me. Finland is sweet. And progressive. I learned delightful stuff.  In chatting with Vil. He spells his first name. With a hyphen. And another name. But I shortened it up. To three letters. And dropped the hyphen. Vil is studying. Getting an education. On his way to becoming a medical doctor.  He’ll reach his goal. Partly, because in Finland education is affordable. For everyone.  Vil pays only $200 a year. To matriculate in medical school.  Indeed, a sign of a progressive society.  Imagine. An affordable education. For everyone. Goes to show where the Finns put their priorities. Of course, rich Finns end up paying higher taxes. And they pay more for other things, too. For instance, the size of the fines in the court system are generally based on one’s income.  A speeding ticket for a very, very rich man driving a luxury sports sedan might be as high as a six-figure amount. Compared to a nominal fine for the less affluent.  Yes, I could adjust to life in Finland. Sounds like my kind of place. Hell for Americans of the Republican persuasion. But heaven for the likes of me. Furthermore, language may not be a barrier. Vil speaks good English. Finns are well-educated. Many of ‘em being multilingual.  Finland seems to be a place where everyone is guaranteed the basic necessities of life.  Makes for easier going, I suspect. In one’s pursuit of happiness.  Long live Finland! –Jim Broede

No comments: