Friday, June 20, 2014

Love doesn't fit into the quotient.

Baseball is a business. That’s the sad part. Baseball should be played. For the love of the game. Not for the money.  I suppose the same should go for life. To be lived. For the sake of life itself. Not for the money. Things is. Money buys stuff. I’m told that money makes for a very satisfying life. My Chicago Cubs can’t sign their best pitcher. To a five-year contract worth $85 million. Maybe the Cubs should offer more. Or maybe the pitcher should settle for $85 million. All for the love of the game. Rather than love of the money. Don’t know. I could settle for $1 million. Maybe less.  All I know. Is that I have an Italian true love. She makes me happy. Contented. I’d not trade her for $1 million. Meanwhile, the Cubs have offered to trade their best pitcher.  For other players. It’s a gamble. A risk. A matter of business.  Love doesn’t fit into the quotient. –Jim Broede

No comments: