Wednesday, July 2, 2014

The matter of loyalty.

I can be loyal to my true love and to a handful of friends. But to pledge unequivocal allegiance to any country – that’s asking for too much. A country is a country. A political entity. A conglomeration of lots of things.  Not nearly as personal as my true love and my chosen friends. I’m pro-American. Because I’m an American. But I’m not totally proud of my country. I oppose many of its actions. Including most wars and conflagrations. I dislike many American politicians. Especially Republicans. I spend much of my time living in Italy. With my Italian true love. I’m pro-Italy. If the American and Italian soccer teams had met in World Cup competition, I’d have rooted for Italy. On July 4th, I’ll be flying the Italian and Sardinia flags in my backyard.  I don’t own an American flag.  But if I did, I’d probably hoist it. Really, I consider myself a de facto citizen of the world. Though I am an American citizen. By birth. I wouldn’t mind holding dual citizenships. If there was such a thing as world citizenship, I’d apply for it. Immediately.--Jim Broede

No comments: