Thursday, August 7, 2014

Better than a lingering death.

My Alzheimer-riddled friend Ron is hanging in there. Refusing to die. Despite a broken neck. He acts like he wants to get out of his hospital bed. And go for another walk. He’s being restrained. And fed sedatives. Because when he struggles against restraints, his pulse rate soars to 150 beats per minute. That ain’t good.   His primary care-givers – daughter Julie and son-in-law Rick – are prepared to take measures to keep Ron alive. Because they think he can still find pleasure in living. Albeit, limited pleasure. I’m not so sure about that. I suspect that Ron would prefer to die. Without wasting another day. But then, Julie and Rick probably know Ron better than I. Ron doesn’t have a quality life any more. Of course, that’s merely my opinion. If I were the merciful and all-powerful creator, I’d let Ron die. Sooner than later. Better than a lingering death with a depleted mind. –Jim Broede

No comments: