Monday, December 22, 2014

A right to know everything.

I trained myself. Even when still in elemenatry school. To think of all business being public business. l was in favor of sunshine laws. Forever, it seems. Meetings should be open. Certainly, all public government meetings. And I even tried to force my way into private meetings. Based on the premise that the public has a right to know. Virtually everything. Of course, that got me into trouble. Because certain people think that government  operates better under a cloak of secrecy. And my preoccupation, when I was a writer for newspapers, was to unearth the secret stuff.  Even if it jeopardized so-called national security. Really, security is more threatened by secrecy than by openness.  People have a right to know everything. --Jim Broede

No comments: