Saturday, February 14, 2015

Find ways to love thyself.

Maybe we are too cautious. In dealing with people in depression. By being too loving. By allowing them to wallow in their discomfort. Sometimes, I'd rather confront them. At the risk of alienation. I want to get to the heart of the matter. The troubling reasons. Why they find it so difficult to cope with life. As a friendly psychotherapist, I not only want to listen attentively to their laments. But I also want to find ways to get them to start thinking in positive ways. Maybe through humor. For them to see the funny side of their plight. To laugh. At themselves. Maybe that's why they are in trouble. They've lost their sense of humor. I find that an effective approach. With Julie.  I don't hesitate telling Julie the raw and brutal truth. Because it's funny. And she knows it. She has fallen into a funk. Because she takes life far too seriously. She steadfastly refuses to have fun.  She's lost direction. Lost purpose. Lost the ability to love herself. Maybe that's more important than being loved by others. No doubt, Julie covets being loved. By husband Rick. By her friends. But the problem. As I see it. Is that Julie no longer loves herself. She's become a masochist. She flagellates herself. She's her own worst enemy. That's what I've been trying to tell Julie. Regain your confidence. Find ways to love thyself. That's paramount. --Jim Broede

No comments: