Monday, April 27, 2015

I've lost a dear friend.

I've lost a dear friend. So sad. I hated to do it. But decided yesterday to suspend her. Indefinitely. As a friend.  Until she shapes up. And meets my extraordinarily high standards of friendship. She's let me down. By not taking care of herself. Among other things, she drinks too much. She's an alcoholic. That's 70 percent of her problem. Unfortunately, she's in denial. Another thing. She's a liar. Lies to herself. And to me, too. Makes promises that she never keeps. I've been very, very kind to her. For a long time. She's kind, too. In material ways. But not in meaningful and truly loving ways. I tell her that she's wrecking her life. And her marriage. In addition to her health.  She's in deplorable condition. Looks like she's recently emerged from a concentration camp. But refuses to get help. Even at the impassioned pleas of her husband and many friends. She's scheduled appointments. For psychotherapy. And for a physical exam. But chickens out. Never shows up. I've had enough of her antics. And her empty promises. Our friendship is on suspension. Until she checks in for rehab. I've talked to her. Pleaded. Endlessly. Does no good. Guess I'll just have to accept the fact. I've lost a dear friend. To alcohol.  --Jim Broede

No comments: