Saturday, April 11, 2015

Wishing that the journey never ends.

Thinking now. What I am. And what I used to be. Not the same person. Yes, I am ever-evolving. I remember being a child. Before I started school. And then a student. I had a father. But not for a long, long time. He decided to take his own life. In the same year that I became a teenager. Had a long-lived mother, too. Had a yen to become a writer, of sorts. Asked for a typewriter for Christmas. And got it. And started publishing a satirical neighborhood newspaper. Went off to college. Became a soldier. In Germany. Came back to the states. And went to work As a journalist. Got married. Became an Alzheimer care-giver. For my dear wife Jeanne. Retired. But continued writing. My way. My kind of stuff. Met my amore mio Cristina. In Italy. Yes, my second true love. And suddenly realized what I had become. A romantic idealist, a spiritual free-thinker, a political liberal, a lover, a dreamer. And here I am. Wondering. What’s next? Wishing. Wishing that the journey never ends. –Jim Broede

No comments: