Friday, June 5, 2015

Maybe I should bow out.

My sometimes friend Julie is inept. Psychologically speaking. She's in no position to make her own decisions. Rationally. Because of a longstanding manic depressive disorder. Plus a drinking problem.  In my opinion, Julie really needs round-the-clock supervision and psychotherapy. Probably an anti-depressant, too. In order to come out of her longtime funk. Julie is in bigger trouble than was my wife Jeanne. Years ago. When Jeanne was in the mid-stages of Alzheimer's Disease. I was still able to risk leaving Jeanne alone for an hour or two. I'd not take the same risk with Julie --that is, if I were in charge. And I'm not.  Maybe just as well.  After all, I'm not a trained professional.  Merely an amateur when it comes to dealing with the mentally ill. Fortunately, I was able to master the art of care-giving. For dementia-riddled Jeanne. Julie, however, leaves me baffled. Yes, helpless. I don't know what to do next. It's terribly frustrating. Maybe I should just bow out. And get on with the rest of my life. In a happy go-lucky manner. --Jim Broede

No comments: