Sunday, December 6, 2015

For usurping Julie's freedom.

I’m thinking. That my depressed and alcoholic friend. Julie. Finds satisfaction. In living in misery and unhappiness. Otherwise, she’d change her ways. Julie loves. Going to the wine. For momentary relief. Knowing full well. That she could get extended, long-term relief. By not drinking any more. But she can’t rally the stamina and commitment to quit. It’s too high a price to pay. She’d rather put up with the miserable life she’s living. If only for momentary relief. Another sign. That Julie is mentally ill. She can’t think rationally any more. I’d have her forced into treatment. But I don’t have the final say. Julie is free. To do as she pleases. Until she harms others. She’s even free to wallow in misery. And to kill herself.  Slowly. But surely.  Am I wrong? For wanting to  usurp Julie’s freedom.---Jim Broede

No comments: