Thursday, December 31, 2015

I'd rather be a happy pauper.

It’s difficult. Being unhappy. Maybe that’s why I avoid going into the doldrums.  It’s far easier being happy. I have tried being unhappy. Just to get a better feel for it. So that I can better understand my unhappy friends. But for me, it’s excruciatingly difficult to be unhappy. It drains the stamina from me. After five minutes, I find it necessary to return to my happy state of being. I’d go nuts if I forced myself to be unhappy for a sustained period. I couldn’t take it. It would be too demanding, too depleting. Even to play such a role. On stage. Just pretending that I’m unhappy. That would be too much of a challenge. I’d decline the role. Even if I were offered millions of dollars. I’d rather be a happy pauper.  --Jim Broede

No comments: