Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Makes me selfish. And a jerk, too.

Julie lives in the world of an alcoholic. And the bereaved. And the depressed. I’m relatively unfamiliar with these worlds.  Though I’ve grieved. Briefly Over the loss of loved ones. But I’ve never been in serious depression or had a drinking problem.  Therefore, I haven’t experienced these maladies first hand.  Through actual experience.  So maybe I don’t fully comprehend what it’s like living in Julie’s complicated world. Furthermore. I’m a man. Julie is a woman. That could pose difficulties, too. when it comes to understanding each other. Still, Julie is a dear friend.  But perhaps not a true friend. There’s a difference. My late wife Jeanne was a true friend. So is my Italian amore. Here’s the difference. My true friends are accepted. Unconditionally. I have no desire to change them. I don’t demand anything. As for Julie. I want to change her behavior. For her to go into treatment. So she quits drinking. And gets well again. Physically, mentally and emotionally.  I don’t want Julie any other way.  Makes me selfish. And a jerk, too. Who puts too much demand and onus on friend Julie. --Jim Broede

No comments: