Friday, December 25, 2015

Thanks, Julie. For a nice party.

I try to see and portray my friends. As they are. Rather than sugar-coated. Thing is. They are my friends, period. Despite the blemishes. The imperfections. Real friends are accepted. Unconditionally. And who am I to judge? After all, I have my share of shortcomings. Such as writing about personal stuff like this. Anyway, I was at a gala Christmas party tonight. Over at my friend Julie’s place.  And I was musing. To myself. That many of Julie’s friends and relatives don’t know the real Julie. Nor the rigors and mayhem she’s going through. Because of her drinking problem. Some don’t even know that she’s an alcoholic. Because they see her infrequently. Not on a daily basis. I see Julie almost every day. And when I don’t. It’s most likely. Because Julie’s in her recluse stage. Which happens often. Whenever she’s drinking. She hides out. Anyway, at the Christmas party, Julie pulled herself together. And put on a good show. For the sake of visiting family – the ones that see Julie occasionally. Usually at special times. Such as Christmas.  I give Julie credit for her fine performance. Goes to show that Julie can abstain. For brief periods. Though it’s difficult. Julie, of course, tries to hide her drinking problem from others. Unfortunately, she even tries to hide it from herself.  Indeed, that’s the bitter and sad part. Yes, Julie’s continuing denial. But hey, I’ve learned. To take what I can get. A few days of a wonderfully sober Julie. That’s certainly better than nothing. Thank you, Julie. For a nice Christmas party. –Jim Broede

No comments: