Sunday, December 13, 2015

'...very old and record-setting age.'

I wonder. About Methuselah’s health. At various stages of his long life. Hey, the guy was purported to have lived for 969 years.  I’m 80. And I’m beginning to feel old. It’d  be an incredible, if not impossible feat, for me to reach 100. I’d be decrepit and debilitated, by then. A complete physical and mental wreck. I have serious doubts. That there ever was a real Methuselah. More likely, a mythical one. Which is all right. I  have nothing against myths or legendary  characters.. Too bad that the camera wasn’t invented. Back when Methuselah was roaming about. I’d like well-preserved and documented photo evidence. To see what the old coot looked like. As he apparently slowly aged. I wonder, too, if Methuselah had good medical care and advice. Or was it a blessing. Perfect genes.  And what was it that finally did him in? Show me the death certificate. There’d be no dispute, I suppose. If one listed the cause as ‘very old and record-setting age.’ --Jim Broede

No comments: